Family meals don’t have to be a huge task. When looking to create a healthy and easy meal for your family, the trick is to try and not think too much — it is okay to stray from the recipe and add your own twist. Have fun with it and experiment to make it your own. Woodside’s Executive Chef Michael Giampetruzzi shares a couple recipes to help you start saving time while feeding your family at home.
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter or olive oil
- 4 oz flour (All-Purpose or Alternative)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 stalk celery, diced
- 2 Idaho potato, washed and diced
- 4-6 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 quarts 2% or whole milk
- 4 oz white wine (chardonnay works well)
- 1 oz white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried thyme leaves
- 1 lb salmon, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 tsp Tabasco, or favorite hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large stock pot, sweat all vegetables in butter until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook another minute or two.
- Add flour and incorporate.
- Add wine, Tabasco, vinegar and cream, and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often until soup starts to thicken.
- Add salmon, thyme and bay leaf and simmer until salmon is cooked. Be careful not to burn bottom of pot.
- Serve with rustic bread and enjoy!
Tomato Coconut Bisque
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 28 oz cans plum tomato
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white or brown rice
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sweat onions and garlic in 2 oz olive oil.
- Add tomatoes, rice and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to simmer and cook until the rice is done.
- Use an immersion blender and puree. (You can also carefully transfer the soup to a blender and use the soup setting).
- Garnish with chopped basil or a dash of chili oil.
Curbside pickup and carryout is now available from the Earthbar and Kitchen. You can view the Earthbar menu here and the Kitchen menu here. Call the Club at 913.831.0034 to place your order.